Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Holiday Season with the Martin Side

December, 13, 2008
Yearly Martin Family Christmas Party

Every year we have a Christmas party with all of my dad’s siblings and their families. The parties have grown as many of my cousins are married and having families of their own. Each year I look forward to this party because it brings back so many wonderful memories of family Christmas parties of the past. This years Christmas party was extra special for all of us.

A few weeks prior to the party, my dad decided to have Santa come to the party. This had been a tradition when we were younger but gradually died off as we all got older. However, at each Christmas party, someone would share a story about how Santa used to come to the family Christmas parties and how it was one of their favorite Christmas memories. My dad only told a few of us so everyone would be surprise.

We all gathered at my parent’s house and had a wonderful meal. Everybody brought something to share, so there was enough food to feed an army. We all enjoyed the meal and as we were finishing up, Santa knocked at the door. The kids were ecstatic. It was so much fun to see the excitement in everybody’s eyes. Santa has a special book that contained information about each person at the party and whether they were good or bad. We all had the opportunity to sit on Santa’s lap and tell him what we wanted for Christmas. We sang a few Christmas songs and then Santa left.

A few days later in the mail, each of the grandkids received a special DVD and note from my Grandma Nana. This year she wanted to do something special and found a Christmas video of our Christmas party from 1987. She burned the CD for each of us and wrote a little note. It brought me so much joy. It was fun seeing how much each of us has grown. We were all so little and excited for Christmas that year. I can’t thank my grandma enough for this special treasure. I love her so much.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

What a fun Christmas party. I love traditions! Also, looking back on old photos...the DVD is such a great gift, ENJOY.

McKenzie said...

That is such a cute gift from your grandma. Fun party!