Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving down South.... AZ


Since Michelle's parents and several family members were heading up to Medford, OR for our nephew Andrew's baptism we decided to head down to AZ for Turkey Day. We left Wednesday morning the 26th which just so happened to be my 28th birthday. I sure did turn old, but my wife will always be a reminder that I will always be younger than her. On the voyage down we were accompanied by my sister Rachael and her "friend" that is a boy named Steve. We had a great trip down through Utah, but I got the best or worst birthday present in Page, AZ, a TICKET.... Yes you heard me right, a ticket. Don't you think they should have a law that allows you to get out of a ticket on your birthday, well Michelle thought I would get off, but the police officer had no mercy. I have to admit I do speed a little, but Michelle comforted me by saying that even if she were driving she would have gotten the ticket. After that tragic event we made our way through Flagstaff.

Now for those of you that don't know my grandparents use to own a cabin in Mund's Park just south of Flagstaff and as kids we enjoyed spending time with our family and relatives hanging out, going to the candy store (gas station), swimming, fishing, swinging, and just having fun. We would usually get a big family group together around the 4th of July and while we waited for the fireworks to start we would do talent shows. It was always a blast. Well, after Grandma died the cabin was sold and now about six years later we decided to see what it looked like. As we got off the exit and made our way past the candy store (gas station) Rachael and I played our favorite cabin game of who sees the cabin first. Both of us said we saw it, but of course as usual we hadn't. As we rounded the corner and it came into view we saw just how different it looked. It got a face lift on the outside. We parked in front across the street and looked out the car window. We turned the car around to get a better picture and a woman sitting on the deck asked what we wanted. We told her our family use to own the cabin and we just wanted to get a picture. She replied that she was actually just talking to her sister about our family that very moment and she invited us in. It was sad to see how it had all changed. The kitchen was updated and the furniture was to big for the space. Most of the small little wall heaters that we use to sit around had been removed, but I could still picture how it was when I was a little kid. We took our pictures and then parted ways with our childhood memories.

Traffic into and through Phoenix was bad as usual. It took us a good two hours to get through it all, but we had some great conversation, music, and company. Our favorite part was as we sat in the 2 mph traffic Michelle blurts out that she farted. I don't think it took more than a second for the whole car to bust out in laughter for about ten minutes. When I asked why she announced that she had farted she replied with, "I thought you guys heard it and I hate it when people don't confess." That is why I love her so much. She is so honest not to mention lady like.

We made it home in 12 hours and we finished the night off celebrating my birthday with pizza and presents. Scott, my younger brother of seven years, shares a birthday with me, but had a wedding reception. I enjoyed opening gifts because I don't remember the last time I really got anything for my birthday. It just not something we really celebrate with my siblings. I loved the helicopters that Michelle gave me, but they ended up having a problem with them and we returned them. I hope to get a better one.

Our time in AZ was spent relaxing and hanging out with family. Thanksgiving Day was warm enough to eat outside and it just happened to be my sister Emily's birthday. I enjoyed seeing cousins and aunts and uncles and eating lots of food.

Friday we went on a hike up Camel Back Mountain with Becky and Brian. It had been a long time since the last time and there were about a thousand people doing the same thing. The weather was nice once again and we got to wear shorts.

As usual we all headed to the park to ride the train at Freestone Park. It costs several dollars, but the parents always pay, and it just goes around the park and lake one time. The little kids love it and it is like tradition. All in all the few days we spent in AZ were great. We enjoyed having everyone together except for Christin's family and hope that it will happen again soon.

2 comments:

Becky and Brian said...

missed you guys at Christmas but glad you came to AZ for Thanksgiving!
Becky

McKenzie said...

Bummer about the ticket on your birthday :( But it sounds like it was a great trip anyway.