Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bringing Baby Home

Day 4 - Final Day
This last  night in the hospital was the best.  We were hardly bothered at all until morning rounds.  Dr. Brown said that Michelle's incision looked really good, but because of some low grade fevers she was having each evening for about an hour, she wanted her to stay till 6pm to make sure it didn't come back.  We then went and visited the nursery to see Drew.  Our normal pediatrician wasn't in today so a colleague of his was taking his patients for the day.  They were still waiting on his bilirubin results, but they thought he would be OK to go home today.  His bilirubin results came back slightly high again and they said they would send us home with a light bed and we would check his levels on Friday as well as his weight.


After breakfast I headed home to take as much stuff as I could that we no longer needed at the hospital and to turn off our sprinkler system and get it ready for winter since it is suppose to snow soon.  As I was on my way back I got a call from Glenn saying that he was bringing his mother over to see Braeden at that very moment.  After a quick visit and a few pictures they had to get going and Michelle and I enjoyed the last few hours we had left in the hospital.  I made sure everything was put away and packed up so we wouldn't waste any time.






With an hour left before we could leave we got Braeden ready for the journey home.  We bought this outfit especially for this day.  We hoped it wouldn't be too small, but it fit just right.  It might only fit him for a few weeks, but it was worth the money.




I need to find the pictures I took of Drew the day we took him home so I can compare their sizes in the car-seat. 




At five minutes past 6pm we were out the door and ready to get on our way home.  After driving off we remembered that we had some food I had bought that day in the fridge at the hospital.  We hadn't gotten very far so I turned around and quickly snagged the bag.







Michelle's other grandparents hadn't been able to see Braeden yet because of their health so she was bound to stop at their place before we went home.  Grandma Woolley was so happy to be able to hold Braeden.  She loves all of her grand and great grandchildren.  Grandpa Woolley was pulling out of his neighborhood when we arrived, but we were lucky to be able to stop on the street and give him a look.  He gave me a slug on the shoulder and said I had done well with this one.





We were interested to see how Drew would react this time to the baby.  He was hesitant the  first day he met him and I think he still was today.  He didn't mind holding Braeden, but after a few seconds he was done.  He then began to crawl around the house like a baby, maybe in protest to our decision to have another child.




Drew is such a little stinker, but he is so cute we will keep him around and try to work out his issues.  I know he will be a great big brother and I hope that the two of them will be the best of friends.



By the end of the visit we were ready to be home.  We could no longer take the confined space of the hospital room, Michelle was tired of the hospital food, and I was tired of eating in the cafeteria.  We just wanted to be in our own home, with our own beds, and our own stuff as one family back together again.  We will see how Drew does these next couple of days.

No comments: