Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Domestic?.......YES!!!!

Before I got married, I frequently told my friends that I was going to become domestic after I got married. Why I thought that this would just happen naturally once I got married, I will never know. I thought that I would be the perfect little wife and do all of those things that perfect little homemakers do. Well, after six months, I have taken some big steps to become domestic.

Our ward hosted a bread making class. Sister Saxton, a seasoned bread-maker, taught the class. First we learned how to make delicious wheat bread. I had to laugh because even the best bread-maker had some troubles. The wheat grinder lid was not on and flour flew everywhere and then the mixer was not on properly and the liquids flew out of the bowl. It was very entertaining. Even after all of those problems, the bread turned out fantastic. She also taught us how to make scones, bread sticks, pie crusts, and rolls. Next week we are learning how to make homemade noodles for soup. The best part about the classes is that we get to sample the items and then take some home. Well, recently, I have attempted to make bread sticks and dinner rolls and both of them tasted nothing like Sister Saxton’s. The bread sticks were dry and dense. The rolls were too airy and probably did not have enough flour because I ran out. I am determined to not give up and am positive that if I owed a bosch I could become a pro.



Last Saturday, I spent four hours with my Grandma Woolley hemming my pants. This is a task that my mom always did so willingly for me. A few years ago I received the best Christmas present ever-my own sewing machine. I am sad to say that after 2 years it is still in the box. Well, my grandma and I worked side by side and hemmed 4 pairs of pants. They were all the perfect length and look great on me. I decided to leave the levi’s alone-they for sure need the professionals. I am so glad that I have my grandma right next door. She helps me out constantly.

12 comments:

Katey said...

Michelle, I am so proud of you! It may take a while for you to be the homemaker you always dreamed of but it will happen! I have faith in you. Now you can say you've put your sewing machine to work. I can teach you how to make an easy baby quilt some time too. I've got some decent sewing skills I'm always willing to pass on! :)

We still need to get together too!

Nettie Martin said...

I am SO PROUD of you. . . baby steps. And I am jealous that you live next door to Gma and Gpa. . .I haven't tried your bread that this lady is teaching you to make but if you can duplicate Gma's I will PAY you to make me my bread.

Nettie Martin said...

PS- I just got the reference to Working Woman? NO
Mother? YES

and YES you can add Domestic to that list.

McKenzie said...

Michelle I am so proud of you too! Way to be domestic! I better start attending the bread making classes too. When are they?

Nicole said...

Good for you! Continue to take advantage of your Grandma so close by. I do agree that if you had a Bosch (and a Nutrimill) you would be an expert bread maker! I never made bread until my bosch....and I can make pretty darn good bread now!

Karen said...

Very impressive! I am still working on the domestic thing too! My mom recently taught me how to sew a little...but it was mostly to make pants longer on me!

Christin said...

You go girl! I for sure have had more loaves of bread be duds than scrumptious. Way to go with the sewing machine too. I'm sad to say that after 13 years of owning a sewing machine, hemming has definitely been my #1 project. You're awesome!

Adrian Wolfgramm said...

Michelle, So glad you never told me about your blog!!!! Hope work is going well...we need to get together and catch up! On another note I feel your pain with the Domestic end of things. 6.5 years and a kid later I still haven't mastered or even yet hardly attempted. I must say recently I have been starting to try and make rolls from scratch, it has been 4 times now and still not like they are supposed to...one day one day. Let me know how it goes when you finally master the "yeast" otherwise call me sometime and lets chat. Take care.

The V-Rod's said...

It is Kat & Reubs we had to change our blog address.

Brett & Dyana Valdez said...

All of this talk about being domestic and I haven't enjoyed any fruits (or grains) of this yet.

We should have a bread party and you bring the bread. We have plenty of butter and jam.

Harmony said...

Hey you two! Hope you are doing well. We need your address for Christmas cards asap! Please send it to Travis' email or just post on our blog! Thanks!

Nettie Martin said...

isn't it about time peeps. . . new post PAH-LEASE! I gave you loads of pictures.