Monday, September 13, 2010

Bouncing, Laughing at the Animals, and He Finally Did It!

One of the best purchases that we have made for Drew is his bouncer, next to his play mat which he has loved.    When we first tried to see what he would do in it we would have to wrap a blanket around him so he would be more sturdy and we had to place a few books under his feet because he was a little short for it.  He would kind of grab at what was in front of him, but he couldn't turn around in the seat, and you didn't get very much emotion out of him.  In the last few months he has gained better balance, gained some weight, grown taller, and become quite the active, happy, smiley baby.  He loves to play the piano, turn the frog, look at himself in the mirror, and of course bounce.  It makes us so happy especially when he just looks up at us, smiles, and then bounces like there's no tomorrow.



Michelle has been reading Drew little picture books the last little while and one of her favorites is the animal book.  She usually will make little animal noises as she goes through each picture.  One night I happen to enter the room while she was reading the book and she asked me to make the noises.  I don't know if he was just tired or what, but he just laughed with this look on his face.  I wasn't sure how to make some of the noises, but I'm sure I will have plenty more practice in the years to come.  After the first few minutes he really was tired and seemed to laugh less and less at my wonderful noises.  The video is kind of long so feel free to stop at any time.



For the last week or so both Michelle and I have laid Drew on his play mat and gone about our business only to find him on his stomach.  Now for most people that isn't a big deal, but this is our child we are talking about.  He started rolling from his stomach to his back at an early age, but up until now he had yet to do it in reverse.  I was determined to catch him on video performing the act so I just put him on his back on a blanket and just waited.  Luckily for me it didn't take long for him to complete the task.  Don't mind my high pitched voice as I praise and talk to Drew.  I think it comes with being a parent.



It is amazing to me how after doing something a few times here and there kids will all of the sudden catch on and become pros at it.  He has continued to practice his sitting up and has gotten much better at keeping his balance.  Along with rolling he is starting to scoot more on his back and lift himself onto his hand and knees a little while on his stomach which could mean he might be crawling pretty soon.  With all of this new movement we can no longer leave him on any couch, chair, bed, or any other high place by himself.

1 comment:

Nettie Martin said...

"Good job Drew!" I love it. . . I'm sure it's just a parent thing. That Drew. . . he's one smart kid.