Friday, February 12, 2010

Home Sweet Home..... Bringing Home Baby

February 12, 2010
I called Michelle around 8 am to see how the night had gone. She didn’t get any sleep at all. Drew’s oxygen monitor was constantly beeping and Drew wasn’t as comfortable as he usually is at night. She also said he didn’t eat as much as usual each time, but he ate more frequently. When she returned him to the NICU they wrapped him in a warm blanket and he was calm again and his oxygen up. She just had to wait for morning rounds to see if Drew would be able to go home. I just waited for my phone to ring with the decision. I hoped that if he was released that I would be able to visit both of them and help them get situated in the car. Around 10:45 Michelle called to tell me that they would be releasing him right then, but first they would take him to our pediatrician’s office up stairs to weigh him on their scale. Since I hadn’t taken my break I met them there. Drew was still 4 lbs 9 oz. Before we left, Dr. Templeman our pediatrician, came in to say hi. We will have an appointment with him on Monday after I get off of work. I then pulled the car up to the front doors and the nurse helped Michelle carry Drew and his oxygen and monitor outside. It was exciting to watch Michelle place him in the car. I was able to take Drew on his first car ride from the NICU to the building where I work on the other side of the hospital. I was sad to have to go back to work, but I knew that Michelle could handle him by herself for a few hours.







As soon as I could, I got off of work and headed home. When I arrived Drew was wrapped up and lying on the couch asleep. He looked so cute. Home Health came to drop off another portable oxygen tank and a larger oxygen tank for longer use. Michelle’s co-workers planned a baby shower for her at Primary Children’s. The theme was children’s books. This meant that I was already being put in charge of our little boy all by myself. Everything went great. Drew slept on my chest most of the time, but I was able to change him and feed him his bottle without a problem. Later Nettie stopped by and couldn’t wait to hold him. She didn’t ask me if she could, but I knew she really wanted to so I offered him to her. I made sure she washed her hands and also used hand sanitizer. She just couldn’t believe how small he still was. I guess for me that is what I am use to. Michelle soon arrived home and showed us all the great stuff she was given at her shower. She has great friends and co-workers. She said that she was glad she was able to go back to PCMC and realize how much she likes it there. The rest of the evening consisted of just holding and feeding Drew while we watched television and discussed what we needed to get at the store. Drew is eating really well tonight. I think he will gain weight just fine. We also hope that it will help him sleep well tonight. I will let you know tomorrow how my first night goes. I better try and get to bed while things are still quiet.





Before I bid you farewell I just want to thank all those who have been so supportive, caring, and concerned about all of us, especially Drew, during the last few weeks. I know that many of you would like to see him, but I want to reiterate the fact that we want to keep him from getting sick. Please make sure and call before visiting to make sure it’s ok and don’t visit if you are feeling sick. I will stop now so I don’t sound too anal. We will enjoy seeing everyone in due time.

1 comment:

Harmony said...

Glad you are home! Hope things are going well, and don't worry about being Nazi about people seeing him! Alida was healthy and I was still very careful about who was here and making sure hands got washed and sanitizer got used often. Never can be too safe. Plus, I didn't take her to church till almost April. So don't feel bad at all! He's a cutie for sure though, hope you are adjusting okay to being home!