Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Bedrest Again - By Michelle




On the way home from California, I looked down at my feet and knew I was in trouble.  They were so swollen and tight.  Up until this point, things had been looking really good and I was very optimistic that things would be different with this pregnancy.  I had only had trace amounts of protein in my urine, and my blood pressure was normal.  The doctor wanted to start seeing me every 2 weeks since it was during this time that I developed pre-eclampsia with Drew.  Thursday afternoon I left work a little early to go to my doctor’s appointment.  My weight was up significantly (8+ pounds), and my blood pressure was borderline high.  The doctor ordered a lot of tests.  One of the tests is a 24 hours urine sample and so I was not able to do that until the weekend.  She instructed me to take it easy and rest as much as possible and to prepare myself mentally and emotionally for bedrest.  It was Labor Day weekend and I did take things easy.  Tuesday morning the nurse called me at work and told me that my urine protein was high and the doctor ordered bedrest.  I started to cry.  I was barely 30 weeks along.  Dr Brown ordered an ultrasound and non stress test for that day to make sure that the baby was growing appropriately.  He passed both tests with flying colors.   My co-workers are amazing and took over everything I was working on and told me to just go home and rest and not worry about anything at work.  I work with such amazing people. 

No comments: