Thursday, April 7, 2011

Passing of Grandpa Gaisford

Harold Rawson Gaisford

Grandpa with Michelle and I at our open house in Arizona on May 10, 2008

Grandpa, Michelle, Drew, and I the last time we saw him on November 28, 2010

My Grandpa Gaisford, my mom's father, passed away in his sleep on Thursday night just a few weeks short of his 92nd birthday.  He was my last living grandparent after my Father's mother, my Mita, passed away earlier this year.  It is strange to think that he is gone.  It seemed not long ago he was taking me around his neighborhood offering my lawn cutting services for $5 a yard (I know good deal for them, not so much for me).  We were able to spend a lot of time together during those years and it was nice to be so close to both him and Grandma.  I am glad that Drew was able to meet him and that I have pictures of them together as well as video that he can watch of them together and know how funny and playful he was with him.  We all have wonderful memories of him and I'm sure we will share them in the future.  He will be missed, but we will see him again.      

   









Name:
Harold Rawson Gaisford
Date:
April 26th, 1919 - April 7th, 2011
Obituary:
Harold Rawson Gaisford, 91, Gilbert, Arizona, died April 7, 2011. He was born April 28, 1919, in Ogden, Utah. At age 16 he moved to Berkeley, CA, where he took a variety of jobs to help his mother support three younger brothers. He took night classes to improve his employment opportunities and his singing and acting talents. He married Geraldine Lambert on April 25, 1942 in Oakland, CA. He enlisted in 1942 and was promoted through Army ranks to Corporal, First Lieutenant, Captain and Major. After working for a radio station on-air and in sales, he found his nitch in insurance sales, which led to promotions and moves to Utah, Texas, and Arizona. In 1966 he established Gaisford Insurance Agency, which he operated for more than 30 years, bringing his son Gordon into the business. Harold enjoyed many callings in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, including choir director, Bishop of the Phoenix 16th Ward, and Mesa Temple worker. He worked alongside his children and grandchildren to impart his skills, his strong work ethic, and self-reliance. His sweetheart of 60 years preceded him in death in 2001. He is survived by four children: Hal (Kay), Steven (Tamara), Gordon (Leslie), and Elizabeth (Chris Cardon). His legacy includes 19 grandchildren and 45 great-grandchildren. Funeral services are Saturday, April 16, 11 AM, Lakeside Ward LDS Chapel, 1005 N. Voyager Dr., Gilbert, visitation one hour before. Arrangements by Bunker’s Garden Chapel.
Visitations:
9:00AM to 9:45AM on Saturday, April 16th, 2011 at LDS Val Vista Stake Center (map/driving directions)

Services:
10:00AM at LDS Val Vista Stake Center on Saturday, April 16th, 2011 (map/driving directions)

Cemetery:
Nat'l Memorial Cemetery of AZ
23029 N. Cave Creek Road
Phoenix, AZ 85024 (map/driving directions)



1 comment:

Mary Lynn Childs said...

Sorry about the loss of your grandfather. My name is Mary Lynn Childs, I am wondering if his son Gordon is the same Gordon Gaisford that baptized my dad in the Oakland California mission in 1972. I have been trying to find him and stumbled accross your blog. Please feel free to E-mail me at marylynn.childs@yahoo.com with any info you might have.
Thanks and sorry again to hear about your loss.